State Benefits

Many sufferers of mesothelioma are unaware of their entitlement to certain benefits. These can include:

(Click on benefit name for more details)

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

IIDB can be claimed if exposure to asbestos occurred through your work. We can provide you with the relevant form and assist you with the application and lodgement.

Personal Independence Payment

Attendance Allowance

PIP is awarded under two categories – mobility and living. It can be claimed if you are aged under 65 and require assistance with your personal care.

If you are over 65 and need help with personal care, Attendance Allowance is claimed.

Carer’s Allowance

If someone helps look after you then once PIP or Attendance Allowance is received, your carer may also be entitled to a Carer’s Allowance.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

This benefit can be claimed if you are unable to work due to the asbestos related disease.

Pneumoconiosis etc (Workers Compensation) Act 1979

A sufferer may also be entitled to a lump sum benefit under what is commonly known as the “1979 Act”. IIDB must be claimed first or at the same time to be eligible. Again we can assist you with the completion of these forms.

Recent changes have been announced by the Department of Work & Pensions to increase the availability of a lump sum payment. Once lodged, the application is usually dealt with swiftly.

The amount of the lump sum will depend on the age of the applicant and level of disability at that time.

Diffuse mesothelioma payment

On 1 October 2008, a new government scheme was introduced for people suffering from the asbestos-related disease, diffuse mesothelioma. Under certain circumstances, people who have the disease may be entitled to a one-off lump sum payment.

*This list is not exhaustive and other benefits may be available. Some benefits can be awarded posthumously.

HASAG are able to assist with applications for benefit, please contact us for details.

* Help is also available from your local Dept for Work and Pensions(DWP):

Link: DWP website